TRC Tourism is planning for tourism that benefits everyone and believes destination sustainability is now a business imperative.
Major disruptions such as pandemics, climate change and new technology are influencing the way communities feel about tourism, the way visitors are making decisions and the way industry responds to these changing expectations.
People and places matter!
Balancing the needs of the community with those of visitors is critical to protecting the very nature and culture of the places that make our world so special. Here at TRC Tourism we are working with our clients all over the world to redefine the purpose of tourism and the benefits it can bring. It’s the good side of tourism that we need more of — the one that gives back to the people and the places we visit, and the planet we love. Planning with purpose is about prioritising the benefits tourism can bring for everyone. It’s about amplifying the quality of tourism over the quantity or volume of tourism. It’s about maximising the quality of life for host communities, protecting our ecosystems, our cultures, and the quality of experiences offered for visitors. Instead of thinking about how much value we can extract from tourism, here at TRC Tourism, we think about how many benefits we can generate from tourism for the people and the places we love.
How do you plan with purpose for tourism?
- Articulate a strong united vision amongst community, government and industry
- Identify the benefits you want to see
- Build capability and strong, resilient local communities
- Abandon traditional approaches to destination planning
- Focus on environmental and cultural advocacy and stewardship
- Connect with local indigenous communities through purposeful engagement to capture their aspirations and further build the destinations value proposition
- Use evidence to support decision making
- Seek out new product and experience development opportunities
- Create new opportunities for investment and business development
- Collaborate with new partners and consider new organisational structures to get the best result
- Monitor and evaluate the environmental, social, cultural and economic benefits of tourism
- Consider risks and prepare for managing crisis and change
Talk to us
As Australia and New Zealand’s leading tourism consultancy firm we are committed to sharing our knowledge and facilitating opportunities for destinations to plan with purpose. We believe that it is through helping each other learn about best practices, and sharing ideas, insights and solutions, that our industry, collectively will be able to tackle the challenges of our times — responding to natural disasters and building community resilience, managing for health pandemics and climate change, protecting our ecosystems and the culture of our peoples. We are committed to rethink what tourism can offer us, creating value beyond economic return and delivering it to our communities and the places that shape us and our travel experiences. TRC has extensive experience in sustainable tourism and destination planning across Australia, New Zealand and destinations around the world. We work with all tiers of industry, and communities, indigenous corporations and international development agencies. Our strength comes from our passion, our people and our approach.
To get your destination ready for growth, contact us and we’ll customise a Sustainable Destination Management package to suit your needs.